Quotations

How's it going? The last post for today connected with different quotations. Here I have two tasks. Let's look at them.



1. The first task is to match the first half of the quotation with the second one. Then I should choose a couple of them for my introduction of the persuasive speech.

1. It is better to have loved and lost. c) than never to have loved at all. – Lord Alfred Tennyson (1809– 1892)
2. Never explain – your friends do not need it. i) and your enemies will not believe you anyway. – Elbert Hubbard
(1856–1915)
3. Well done is better. e) than well said. – Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790)
4. I’m President of the United States and.  a) I’m not going to eat any more broccoli! – George H W Bush (1924–)
5. To get back my youth I would do anything in the world. h) except take exercise, get up early or be respectable. – Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)
6. Words are, of course, the most. j) powerful drug known to mankind. – Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
7. We must learn to live together as brothers. d) or perish together as fools. – Martin Luther King, Jr (1929–1968)
8. My one regret in life is that.  b) I’m not someone else. – Woody Allen (1935–)
9. I never think of the future. f) It comes soon enough. – Albert Einstein (1879–1955)
10. I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. g) I do and I understand. – Confucius (551–479 BC)

I like these two quotations and I can use them in the introduction of my speech perfectly!

Well done is better than well said. – Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790)
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. – Confucius (551–479 BC)

Amazing quotations, isn't it?


2. In second task we face quotations again.Here I should correct mistakes in the quotes. Then I choose one quotation and demonstrate how I can use it in the body of my speech.

1. All truth passes threw three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788–1860)
1. All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788–1860)
2. He who has a “why” to live, can bare with almost any “how”. Friedrich Nietzsche (1844–1900)
He who has a “why” to live, can bear with almost any “how”. Friedrich Nietzsche (1844–1900)
3. Whether you think that you can, or that you can’t, you are usually write. Henry Ford (1863–1947)
3. Whether you think that you can, or that you can’t, you are usually right. Henry Ford (1863–1947)
4. Sometimes it is not enough that we do our best; we must due what is required. Sir Winston Churchill (1874–1965)
4. It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required. Sir Winston Churchill (1874–1965)
5. In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever new before. But in poetry, it’s the exact opposite. Paul Dirac (1902–1984)
5. In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it’s the exact opposite. Paul Dirac (1902–1984)
6. I don’t know why we are hear, but I’m pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves. Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889–1951)
6. I don’t know why we are here, but I’m pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves. Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889–1951)
7. Be nice to people on your way up, because you meat them on your way down. Jimmy Durante (1893–1980)
7. Be nice to people on your way up, because you meet them on your way down. Jimmy Durante (1893–1980)
8. The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must weight till that other is ready. Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862)
8. The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready. Henry David Thoreau (1817–1862)

I think I will use this quotation in the body of my speech:

Each of us does not think about the consequences of the actions, we are not afraid of the future, we are not afraid of the reaction of the planet to our actions. People think they are doing enough for the environment, but they are only doing it for their own good. As Sir Winston Churchill said: " It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required."

Thank you for reading all my posts! See you on next week!

By CAMOMILE



Комментарии

Популярные сообщения